Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Poem: The Secretary Rant

The Secretary Rant


From where I sit, nothing much gets done unless
it lands on my desk. “Hon, make 100 copies of this agenda.
File these reports. I try to hide the fact that my files
are permanently scrambled. “Don’t forget the coffee.”

They can’t even clean up after themselves, dirty coffee cups, 
waded napkins. wonder if after Mr. Director stands to blows
with Mr. CEO do they sit beside each other in bathroom stalls
while the air in here is still punctuated with their curse words.

Do they talk to each other with civility. Over what? Minutiae?
“See the Reds and Cardinals Saturday?” And then one emission
after another leaves them with a choice: either pick up the fight
or just give themselves over to the smelly silence of sanitation
swirling down the commode chute.

Either way I know my place is behind my desk
and I watch the entire circus from where I sit.


                    By: Patty Cole                                 
4/23/19                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your respectful comments, but will not accept anonymous ones.