Thursday, April 4, 2019

A Grey Squirrel

A Gray Squirrel

Just 50 feet in front of me a grey squirrel
paces himself on the middle line of the
Old 421 Highway where I drive home
every other day under a canopy of
brittled trees, mostly oaks and a few pines.

I wonder, What If?

What are the odds one of these
trees would fall and kill me?
Unless luck lay on my gas and brake pedals,
I might not be able to stop my demise and
what parts do luck and fate play anyway?

Theoretically, my thoughts and the auto pilot 
mesh together with the road and instant death,
but who wants to think about vacant theories
when real, tangible mutilation lay strewn
across this stretch of roadunder watchful trees.
 I swerve to the left. 
By Patricia Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your respectful comments, but will not accept anonymous ones.