Monday, April 25, 2016

Seasonal Evolution



Seasonal Evolution
------------
As tax day ends, nature sends exhausted hummingbirds?
I hear, not see, their quick fly by as they shout, “It’s Spring.”
Helicopter outside my window—smile so absurd,
Never have I heard them sing, but hum an unknown song.

They shoo dull Juncos to arboreal summer forests.
Smartly away from southern heat to breed and to rest.
Vibrant Grosbeak flits to his cooler mountain retreat.
My alarm clock now is the Cardinals’ harsh morning tweet.

Oh my Carolina Wren with scolding voice so loud
And tiny Blackcap Chickadee standing bold and proud
Will you drive me into debt with your big appetite?
Why don’t you harvest more bugs at the edge of the night?

Shrill tweets, love songs, and territorial squabbling
My southern birds are here to stay; this much shall endure.
And despite the Blue Jay’s metallic ting-ting, ting-ting
Morning’s sweet cacophony, rings outside my screen door.


By Rick Bylina                                                     
4/25/16                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your respectful comments, but will not accept anonymous ones.