Friday, April 6, 2012

Poem: A Warm Summer’s Day


A Warm Summer’s Day

I cried for you, or did I cry for me
On
that warm summer's day
The bay was calm - I drank its coolness
On that warm summer's day

As you danced your life, my life, for me
Your questions there for me to ask
Caught in my throat - the polluted sand of the bay
Your arms dancing
My tears crying
The Bay washing
Soothing, loving the sand away

But your foot caught my heart
Your foot pounding, his voice pounding
Were my heart pounding, pounding, pounding
The drum of antiquity pounding
As your partner read David’s words
And you danced our pain
Your love true, forbidden sanctity
My love, sanctified, dissolving
On that warm summer's day

Your dance ended then
The pounding echoing
The silence of my heart
You left as you came, a
Dirge that swelled my pain, your pain
The gulls were quiet
on that warm summer’s day
Soaring over the cool water of the bay
Beckoning me to with them soar
To love and freedom beyond the shore

But tears of my pain held me back
Tears of your pain called me back
Back to life, to the dirge of your feet
Walking silently in my pain
On that warm summer's day

I cried for you, or did I cry for me
On that warm summer's day
The bay was calm - I wept its coolness
On that warm summers' day.


By: Carol Phillips                                           
4/6/12                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your respectful comments, but will not accept anonymous ones.