Monday, April 26, 2021

Poem: Traces

Went walking in the mall where we used to walk

During the cold season.


It was the first time since you had gone,

And your footprints still glowed to me.

And I saw your face in the empty store windows.


Next to me

Shoulder to shoulder

Hand in hand

As we made our circuit around the mall.


I can still feel 

When I put my arm around you 

As we walked

And I pulled you to me.


My innocent,

My little one

Who needed my protection 

When your world had lost

Its color, its light

And so much was grey.


I could feel, and I knew

I was your color, your light

And your connection 

To this world.


So, as I walk this place

You still linger here.

Flickers of motion

Flashes of feeling,

And so much emotion.


My tears realize my pain.

Thank god something remains.

Enough to help me get through

Without you.


It's difficult to come back here.

                                    By George Kauffman 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your respectful comments, but will not accept anonymous ones.